Musical Improv Games - Bad Rap
Quick thinking. Accepting failure. Group singing
- A beat is started
- A subject or suggestion is given
- The first person starts by rapping a set up rhyme. This will be two lines that rhyme with each other.
- For example if the subject is crime, the first person might sing.
- I got mugged yesterday, could it get any worse
- They took my money that was in my _______.
- This is then set up for the next person to fill in the gap. However, this is bad rap. Rather than filling in the word we all expect, the next person must replace this with something either similar, or ridiculously inappropriate. Some examples for the above could be:
- They took my money that was in my "WALLET" or "SHOE" or "ELEPHANT."
- The key is NOT to use the word that will spring to mind (assuming the set up is good enough).
- Once this has been done, the group sings
- Bad rap, bad rap, bad rap bad rap bad rap.
- Then the next person sets the next up and so on around the circle.
- Do your best not to pre-prepare your bad rap word
- This is impossible to keep in time but failure is what we are here for
- Try to keep your set ups simple so the next player can really play against it.