Musical Improv Games - Counterpoint Song
That 'wow' moment mid musical
- This really does work well as a tent-pole in the middle of a longform improvised musical. Think "One day more" from Les Mis or "Tonight" from West Side Story. Otherwise known as the "Non-pointing pointing song" for reasons that may become clear:
- The protagonist or main character enters and sings a simple repeated line that sums up their desires
- They are joined one by one (or in pairs) by other characters singing complimentary melodies but with their own words
- When everyone is on stage, they all sing their lines together
- All the singers converge on one line that sums up their combined state
- Can you give your focus to the newest singer on stage?
- Try to find your own line that really sums up your character's journey up to that point
- If you think you have the line that could apply to everyone, try to make that clear.