Musical Improv Games - Moving and Emoting
Getting people moving and singing unselfconsciously
- Participants walk or move around a space while using the voice.
- A musician plays or background music plays
- There really are no rules for what the improvisers should be doing, as long as they are moving and making a noise.
- This exercise can also be done using words.
- Everyone in the room will be singing/speaking at the same time which is fine.
- Each improviser should be exploring their own environment and not be too swayed by what other people are doing.
- The exercise should end loudly, both physically and vocally.
- As you walk around the space, you should try to express some thoughts that are in your mind as you move.
- If you do feel like using words, just let them come and try not to think about them too much.
- If you find that you are losing emotion or tune at the expense of telling a funny story then dispense with words altogether and just go back to lalalas.
- In terms of your physicality, again try not to think too much. If you can, try and find a balance between moving freely and subconsciously and also making deliberate choices.
- As this is still part of the warming up part of your class, this is also a good time to explore your range. How low or high are the notes that you can reach and what do they help you to express emotionally?