Musical Improv Games - Pointing Song
Group singing, performance piece, singing something amazing with other people.
- Arrange the singers in rows facing the audience. Some sitting on the floor, some on chairs and some standing behind like a school photo
- Suggest a broad subject (childhood, money, travel etc.)
- The music starts
- The conductor points at each singer in turn who sings a short repeating phrase. They will only sing this phrase when pointed at
- Once all the phrases have been heard the conductor can bring in two or three or more at the same time.
- Try to find interesting and contrasting combinations.
- Eventually the conductor will bring everybody in.
- Through the magic of group mind the participants will try to end up all singing just one of the phrases that was heard.
- Be prepared to ditch your idea if it is too similar to someone else's who has already sung
- What would compliment the piece the most?
- Sing something dumb - maybe just noises
- Be prepared to try out a few other people's lines near the end before the group settles on one in particular